Sunday 16 September 2012

Mean

There is just something about medicine that brings out the best and worst of humanity.

Personally though, I find no greater reminder or motivator to be a better person than observing someone else behaving like a fink.

I've observed unpleasant interactions in all permutations between doctors, nurses and patients, and I am often puzzled at how easy it is for us to sometimes forget simple things such as good manners and common decency.

I myself am not immune to this. There are days when I get so caught up in narcissism that I may react to situations like a complete jerk and don't quite realise until much later just how horrible I must have come across.

Vanity... Conceit... Selfishness... Such ugly traits that are unfortunately all too commonly exhibited in the world of medicine, mostly due to the fact that the field consists of a large amount of human interaction and with that, so many different ways in which it can go wrong.

It's easy to forget crucial things if you fail to associate to them the level of importance that they deserve.

A little kindness, compassion and consideration goes a long way in our everyday interactions and it should be applied regardless of the person we are interacting with because in the end, I'm a big believer in the fact that you should be good to people, not because of who they are, but because it's who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment