Monday 29 October 2012

Sir Ken Robinson: Do schools kill creativity?


For as long as I can remember, my answer to this question has always been 'Yes'.

I often look back to reflect upon my ultimate downfall (i.e. University) and think, "How do I reverse the damage?"

I never fully engaged myself in school (I found it brimming with silliness and preferred to have as little to do with it as I possibly could, with the exception of instances when it was beneficial for me) and therefore, growing up, I retained a strong sense of self and what was important to me.

My family and my upbringing made this incredibly easy. My parents built a beautiful world around me in which I was capable of anything and everything; a world where my potential was limitless, and that personal growth and development mattered far beyond the realm of personal gratification. I was raised to be curious, to value innovation and creativity, and to care.

Sadly, somehow along the way, I fell out of that world and into my current one, and it caught me quite off-guard. Understandably, I soon suffered from an adjustment disorder.

It has taken me a while to uncover my diagnosis, but my journey has led me to the underlying epiphany that, quite simply, I don't belong here.

Finding my way back to my world - a world in which I can thrive - is by no means an easy feat. My mind is now so strangely convoluted towards negativity that I cannot recognise it anymore and, like a fish out of water, I am suffocating.

It is painful, and very much a struggle. It hurts to be here, and it hurts to turn back.

But, you know what? At least turning back will lead me to a place that I know is good because I've been there.

Even if it's not here, I do know a place where I belong. The trick is finding my way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment