Friday 22 March 2013

Sleep

I have just come home from the hospital after attending to patients who were affected by a tornado that's hit not too far from here, and all I want to do... Is read.

I know I should be sleeping.

I still need to go to work tomorrow morning, as I have patients booked in to see me. I still might get called back in tonight if we received any more admissions. And I've been in theatre all day after having very little sleep the night before due to a case of food poisoning.

So, yes... I'm well aware that I should be sleeping. But I'm wide awake.

I'm finding myself flipping through my medical textbooks, looking for more information. My mind feels thirsty for knowledge... I feel like I need to fill it, refresh it, with questions to ask, symptoms and signs to look out for, medications and dosages... All for the next patient that comes through those hospital doors.

I want to be good at this. I don't want to miss anything.

Which is why... Despite not wanting to... I'm going to power off my brain and get some sleep.

It's counter-intuitive to me at the moment, but I know it's the right things to do.

I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment