Wednesday 20 June 2012

The Art of Happy

Happiness is a puzzling thing.

There are some days when I've got every reason to feel miserable and yet I don't. And then there are days when I've got every reason to feel happy, and yet I find that I can't quite get there.

Clearly, happiness is unreasonable.

People often talk about happiness as being a choice; that you can choose to be happy.

Rightly or wrongly, I am not one of those people.

I don't think you can choose to be happy any more than you can choose to have a hundred dollars in your wallet.

You've either got it or you don't.

However, if you'd like to have a hundred dollars in your wallet, there are ways of making that happen. Just like there are ways to making yourself happy. In both cases though, it is a process, not a split second materialisation.

The mind is a beautiful thing.

After over twenty years of living with mine, I still haven't quite figured it out, and it's not from lack of trying.

I am certain that I'm not alone in my quest for happiness. For a lot of people, it's a never ending struggle.

The funny thing about happiness that I've found is this. You need to have had it to fully appreciate it. You need to have tasted it to want it bad enough to actively seek it out.

In a sense, happiness is like an addictive drug. The more you get of it, the more you crave it, the better you are at recognising the things that give you that high.

Just like it takes money to make money, it takes happy to make happy. If that makes sense.

And so, my summary of it is this. Happiness can only be attained in pursuit of happiness. It is both the journey and the destination. Every little success that gets you closer to your ultimate happy goal, gets you there.

It is an elusive conundrum that plays us all for fools, and yet, it's worth living and dying for.

So what do you do when happiness serendipitously pays you a visit?

Ask no questions and simply bask in the glory.

And that's just what I intend to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment