Friday 15 June 2012

A Good Death

So this morning, Vincent and I were asked to put in an in-dwelling urinary catheter.

And one hour, two final year medical students, two doctors, three sterile packs, four attempts, and multiple glove changes later... The procedure was a success.

Now, before you start yelling out "Medical incompetency!", let me just enlighten you on our patient, Cassandra.

Cassie is a 98 year old woman with a pelvic fracture.

Here's hoping that bit of information put things into context for you. And if it still doesn't... Let's see you do better.

On another note, one of my first patients at the Lodge passed away today.

I met her two weeks ago when I was assessing her for her back pain (she referred to my palpation technique as a gentle massage) following which, I advised her to practice deep breathing exercises, keep mobile, and practice all those good healthy habits that keep your lungs happy.

I recall that at the time, her lungs were clear. It didn't take long for that to change, however. Once the pneumonia hit, she deteriorated quite rapidly. Despite our best efforts, it came to a point where the most we could do was keep her comfortable.

In the end, we managed her pain, she had her family with her, and as far as it can go, I'd like to think that she experienced a good death.

Is there such a thing?

I'd like to think so. One would hope that it exists, as given the fact that death is the one sure thing about life, it's nice to think that it could actually potentially be a positive experience.

However, only time will tell for sure. And on my part, I'll do my best to keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment