Sunday 13 January 2013

Driving It Home

2013 for me so far has been all about change.

1. I have a new job and will now need to get used to saying 'Doctor' instead of 'Medical Student' (Harder than it looks...)

2. I am getting paid* (Say what?!...)

*See item 1

3. I am getting paid for something that I love doing and would much prefer to be doing for free because it somehow takes a bit of the pressure off (But unfortunately, it's harder to work in this business for free than it is getting paid for it)

4. I have relocated to a place that is 6 hours away from everyone and everything I've come to know and love in the last 4 years

5. I have a driving licence* (and thus am now legally allowed to make a nuisance of myself in said new place)

* A necessity due to said new job and new town

There are days when I feel like I've been thrown into the deep end and its pretty much 'sink or swim'.

Thankfully, I'm swimming. So far.

In the past 5 days, I have gone from zero driving experience to 1000kms and counting, owing to the fact that my orientation week was held at two different locations 45 minutes away and I've had to do some significant back-and-forths.

Don't get me wrong, I've actually enjoyed the experience. Even my first solo drive, in which I got lost and spent 3 hours getting to a place which should have taken me 45 minutes to get to, was enjoyable. I've decided that I like driving in the country.

Other than this nasty virus I've caught (which I've spent the last 48 hours trying to get rid of and hoping to be rid of it in the next 12 hours in time for my first official day of real work), things have been going pretty good.

Everyone I've met here so far has been so lovely and welcoming; I have no doubt I'll enjoy working here.

So here's to changes - Onwards to new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment