Tuesday 15 January 2013

Rockstar

I'm completely burnt out, but I've had a fantastic day.

I had antenatal clinic in the morning (first time I've run them, but it went beautifully and I love them now!) and saw general patients in the afternoon.

Just like yesterday, every case was different and I had no way of preparing for what came next.

I know it's my second day, but today seemed to go on for so long, it feels like I've been doing this forever! Except for my lack of experience with most things, which hopefully will come soon enough.

I love my patients. And my supervisor. And the nurses. And the admin team.

To say the least, I'm having a ball! I'm just so drained at the end of the day. I've had enough, but guess what... I've got to go back in tomorrow! And the day after that. And the day after that.

Welcome to working life... 😱

In other news, my supervisor called me over after clinics today for a debrief and told me how impressed she's been by my performance and my rapport with my patients. And, in response to me being a Rockstar Intern, she's going to double my patient load.

My first thought was, 'Yay!'

And then I thought, 'What am I thinking? DOUBLE load???'

On one hand, this is an immense compliment. I'm honoured that my supervisor feels that I'm capable enough to tackle this. This will be an added challenge for sure, and if I were to be entirely honest with myself, I feel up for stretching a little bit beyond my comfort zone.

However, I feel a little stretched already, even with my current workload. I'm feeling it. The past two days have been exhausting.

I suppose one can only try, right? I'll do my best, see how tomorrow goes, and if it works out, I might be on my way to becoming the most productive intern the clinic has ever seen.

Well... That's the plan, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment