Wednesday 9 January 2013

Newly Meds

It's Day 3 of me being a doctor but so far, I still haven't felt like a doctor.

Not that we've done too many 'doctory' things just yet.

As part of the Murray to the Mountains Internship Programme (which is by far the best medical internship programme in Australia, in my humble opinion), my fellow interns and I (there are 5 of us altogether) get a full week of orientation before we officially start working as doctors.

In the past 3 days, we've covered introduction to our respective health services/departments (we all start out on different rotations) and the programme itself, and attended several workshops and lectures covering topics like advance care planning, clinical skills and drug chart documentation.

Despite being extremely full on and thus mentally exhausting (particularly since my brain has had to be roughly dragged out of holiday mode), these lessons and refresher courses have been extremely valuable. I'm very thankful we've had them.

The one thing that's probably glaringly different about the M2M orientation compared to other internship programmes is the fact that the activities are held at different sites and hence, there's a lot of driving involved.

On that note, I'm just about to drive from Wangaratta to Yarrawonga for our Intern-Supervisor dinner, I should probably head off and continue this later!

No comments:

Post a Comment