Friday 18 January 2013

Positive

My father once told me that when it comes to choosing a profession, choose one that makes you feel excited about getting up in the morning.

Although I must admit that the past week has been exhausting in all realms of physical, mental, and emotional, and getting up in the morning has very much been an everyday struggle, by the end of each day, I always felt complete. Like I was exactly where I was meant to be, doing what I was always meant to do.

I had a feedback session with my supervisor yesterday in which she discussed with me some of my strengths that she has observed in the past week. She said I was a good communicator and that I had excellent rapport with my patients. She mentioned that she felt I was a natural teacher and saw in my sessions how much I enjoyed educating my patients. She also said that she liked my sense of initiative and proactive spirit when it came to learning.

Needless to say, I was very humbled by the session and felt even more inspired to do better and to be better. Although we all try to do the right things, a little validation in the form of positive feedback goes a very long way in terms of reinforcing good habits, and I appreciated that.

There will be days, I know, when I will doubt whether I'm suited for this job. On those days, I predict I'll feel like I'm rubbish at it and I'm better off doing something else. Something easier.

On those days, I'll need to remember that more often than not, I do get things right. As for the rest of the time... Well, I can only get better.

After all, 'Ancora Imparo'.

No comments:

Post a Comment